Recycle, Repair, Reuse
Is Recycling worth it? Yes it is!!!!!!!!!!!
Find out more here https://www.recyclingbins.co.uk/recycling-facts/
Recycling saves energy and money
- Recycling cardboard takes 75% less energy and recycling plastic takes 88% less energy than making it from raw materials
- Recycling glass takes 70% less energy and recycling aluminium takes 95% less energy than making them from raw materials. Glass and aluminium are 100% recyclable and can be recycled endlessly
- Recycling paper takes 60% less energy than making it from raw materials. Each tonne of recycled paper saves 380 gallons of oil, 7000 gallons of water and 3 cubic meters of landfill space and 17 trees.
Recycling Saves Resources
- Every time we throw away something that can be recycled we are wasting the planet’s resources. The planet’s resources are finite and are running out; one simple solution is to recycle everything that can be used again. There is same amount of gold in 41 mobile phones as 1 tonne of ore and yet only 21% of phones are recycled!
Recycling reduces pollution
- Recycling reduces plastic in the sea and in the environment
- Burning waste creates smoke and carbon dioxide pollution
- Burning trees creates smoke and carbon dioxide pollution
Recycling reduces deforestation and preserves homes for wildlife
- Every tree that is cut down destroys homes for birds, insects, fungi etc
Recycling creates jobs
- Recycling is an industry that creates millions of jobs
How you can help the council to recycle
Put the right thing in the right bin
- We can help make the council to make recycling more efficient by putting the right thing in the right bin. Putting things in the wrong bin costs councils and therefore the taxpayer money, for example items placed in the wrong bins cost Rotherham Council £1.5million last year. Wagon loads of waste are contaminated and have to be sent to landfill every year.
Many more things can be recycled than you think.
- For comprehensive information about where to recycle specific items check out this website https://www.recyclenow.com/
- Some surprises – Leave the tops on plastic bottles, leave the pump on cleaning product bottles but take the pump off hand wash and detergent bottles
- Blister Packs can be recycled at Superdrug stores.
- All oral care products Toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes, floss containers, packaging etc can be recycled. Check out the collection points here https://www.recyclenow.com/recycle-an-item/toothpaste-tubes#locator
- Bikes – donate bikes to Africa, the nearest drop off point is Halfords Queens Rd Sheffield
- Batteries most supermarkets Tesco, Aldi, Sainsbury’s Morrison’s
- Light bulbs Dumpit site
- Electrical Goods , first try to give, donate, or sell them or take them to the Dumpit Site
- Phones first try to give, donate, or sell them
- Computers, laptops – Aspire in Sheffield is a social enterprise that refurbishes and resells computers or they recycle the components if they are beyond repair. They provide jobs for vulnerable and socially excluded people https://www.aspire-sheffield.co.uk/
Sell or Donate your unwanted Stuff
Have a cupboard/ garage/ general clear out of things you don’t use or need anymore
Sell things on:
- Facebook Marketplace
- Dinnington Forum
Donate things :
- Charity Shops
If you need help, ask a family member or friend.
Have Stuff Repaired
Tried and tested repair shops:(these are specific to Dinnington- can you find local shops and resources for repair and upcycling and share the information?)
- Shoes and Leather Goods The Village Gent (was Tom Cobblers) Laughton Rd Dinnington
- Computers Dave’s Computer Shop Laughton Rd Dinnington
- Washing Machines, Fridges, Dishwashers, Tumble dryers, Vacuum Cleaners
- Impact UK Laughton Rd Dinnington
- Clothes Alterations The Fabric Shop Laughton Rd Dinnington
Buy Products made from recycled Materials
Paper, envelopes, toilet paper, kitchen roll, clothes, Garden Furniture etc.