Recent articles about the St Vincent de Paul Society – SVP – have covered a range of aspects of the society including its founder, its history and more recently how it works and what it does locally. This article is the start of an occasional series presenting factual accounts of SVP activity, taken from the […]
Archives for 2019
We gathered on Sunday, 9 December at the Bar Convent, York to celebrate the first anniversary of the inauguration of the new ministry that gives an explicit welcome to LGBT+ Catholics, their families and friends. Every second Sunday of the month since December, 2017, the Sisters of the Bar Convent have welcomed hundreds from […]
The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales have designated 2020 as ‘The God Who Speaks’: A Year of the Word Ahead of 2020 Year of the Word, they would like to hear how people currently make use of Holy Scripture. The information, which is submitted anonymously, will help them to plan events and resources […]
At the annual gathering of the priests of the Diocese last October the speaker was Tom O’Loughlin, Professor of Historical Theology at Nottingham University. Tom gave the priests of the Diocese Six Simple Steps which could go some way to achieving Vatican II’s vision in our celebration of the Eucharist. This month we take a […]
St William of York Parish, Ecclesall Road, Sheffield invites families of all whose funerals have taken place in the parish during the year to come to a November Saturday Memorial Mass.
On arrival, everyone lights a candle for their deceased friends a…
On Saturday, 26 January, 2019, the Cadeby Main Colliery Pit Wheel was dedicated near Kilners Bridge in Denaby Main. Denaby Main was originally a company village built by the Denaby Main Colliery Company Ltd. Denaby Main Colliery began production in 1868 mining coal from the Barnsley Main seam. Cadeby Main Colliery began production in 1893, employing 2000 miners. By 1903 both collieries were employing over 4,500 men and boys. In 1894 Fr Thomas Kavanagh arrived in the village with the task of establishing a Catholic Church to meet the spiritual, religious and pastoral needs of miners and their families drawn mainly from the growing Irish community, attracted by employment opportunities and housing. Andrew Montague, whose family owned much of the land in Denaby Main, offered Fr Kavanagh an acre of land to build a church. The foundation stone was laid in 1897 and work began immediately on building the church. On the feast of St Alban in June, 1898, St Alban’s Catholic Church was officially opened by Rt Rev William Gordon, Bishop of Leeds. The service was attended by many local dignitaries. After Mass lunch was provided at Rossington Street Infants School where Bishop Gordon congratulated Fr Kavanagh on achieving his goal. St Alban’s parishioners and the wider community prospered but they also had to endure 1902/03 Bag Muck Strike and mass evictions, 1912 Cadeby Main Colliery Disaster, 1921 Strike, 1926 General Strike, 1972 and 1974 Strikes and 1984/85 Miners Strike. Cadeby Main Colliery closed on Christmas Eve 1986. Miners, trade unions, the churches and community exhausted the appeal procedures in their determination to save the colliery. Jeff Lovell, Chair of the Cadeby Main Colliery Memorial Group, and his committee organised the Dedication of Cadeby Main Colliery Pit Wheel which was dedicated by Rev Reg Davies, Vicar of All Saints Parish Church, Denaby and Fr Patrick O’Connor. Many members of the community, trade unions and visitors attended. St Alban’s parishioners, who are extremely proud of their heritage and history, were well represented. Remembering 30th Anniversary 2015 marked the thirtieth anniversary of the end of the miners’ strike of 1984/5. At the invitation of Rev Reg Davies, Vicar of All Saints Church, Denaby, Fr Bill Bergin, then Parish Priest of St Alban’s, and a group of parishioners from St Alban’s celebrated Mass in the Denaby and Cadeby Miners Memorial Chapel in All Saints Church, (pictured above). Remembering Our Miners Celebrating Mass in the Miners Memorial Chapel has become a tradition and an annual event in St Alban’s parish and, on Spring Bank Holiday Monday, 2017, Fr Desmond Edozie, Parish Priest of St Alban’s, celebrated Mass with parishioners from St Alban’s and English Martyrs Parishes. Fr Desmond commented, “It is important that we remember our miners who worked at Denaby Main and Cadeby Main Collieries. They and their families created the parish of St Alban’s in partnership with their priests and religious sisters. We are in their debt. A special thanks to Rev Reg Davies and his parishioners for allowing us to celebrate Mass in the Miners Memorial Chapel.” Fr Desmond celebrated Mass in the Miners Memorial Chapel on 28th May last year. Parishioners are pictured below in the Chapel with Rev Reg Davies, Vicar of All Saints Church, Denaby Main.
Readers may have been following the history of the Society of St Vincent de Paul in recent editions and will therefore be aware of its early years, its development over the last 175 years and the nature of the organisation it is today. Last month’s ar…
December 2018 saw the 40th anniversary of the Society of St Vincent de Paul at St Mary and St Joseph’s, Worksop. Established in 1978, this conference has been working hard over the decades to fulfil the mission of the society to seek out and help thos…