Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies (CCRS)
Studying for the Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies (CCRS) in Hallam
Each year students have found that the course gives them a chance to explore and deepen their faith, study the Bible , learn from church teaching and scholars past and present, and look at how faith is put into action in the world we live in.Take a look round our website, and the national CCRS website, to get an idea of what the course entails.Details of open days and registration dates will be posted here as well as in the Diocesan and Parish press
Click the link below if you're interested in starting the course in September .
We'll get in touch with more information and can arrange a chat.
There is an introductory session on 22nd September, 730pm-9pm at the Hallam Pastoral Centre. You can register for the CCRS in advance by contacting us , or simply register on the day at the intro evening.
In addition to being one of the tutoring team I co-ordinate the CCRS course for the diocese and would be very happy to discuss the course with prospective students throughout the year, or to talk about the CCRS in your Parish or School.
I am also connected with wider adult formation and theological networks in the UK and would be delighted to hear from anyone in Hallam wanting to explore options for theological study or discussion at any level.
- The course lasts 2 years.
- Comprises 8 modules (4 per year).
- 6 are core modules, common to all teaching centres.
- 2 are chosen from the specialist modules offered by that centre.
- The 6 core modules are
- Old Testament
- New Testament
- Jesus Christ
- The Church
- Hallam currently offers modules in Liturgy, Catholic Social Teaching and Early British Christianity.
- Teaching for each module is normally one Saturday a month (9am-2pm).
- Teaching takes place at the Hallam Pastoral Centre and is a mixture of lectures, individual and group exercises, and reflective practice.
- Tutors are theologically qualified staff from the Diocese, both Lay and Ordained.
- There is a small charge per module.
- Successful participants obtain a nationally recognised Catholic qualification.
The Catholic Certificate in Religious Studies (CCRS) is managed and awarded by the Board of Religious Studies on behalf of the Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. It is designed for teachers in Catholic schools; that they may have a "basic understanding of the Church, its teaching and way of life". It is also designed for catechists and for adult members of the Church in order for them to continue to grow in knowledge and practice of the faith, and be better equipped for sharing it.
In Hallam, the course regularly draws students of all ages and backgrounds. Participants have commented on how the course makes them think and learn about their faith, but also helps strengthen and deepen it.
The course is based around eight modules.
If you wish to register or receive more information, please send us an email with your name, address and enquiry, and we'll get back to you with details and the opportunity for a chat about joining the course.